Progress Pics

Friday, January 22, 2010

Perfect Ten Update #3, Today's Workout, and running, running running........




It's time for my third Perfect Ten update! I have not once been late in posting my updates and I am VERY proud of that.

I realized something today that makes this challenge even more special to me. The end of the challenge coincides with my one year anniversary of starting on this journey. That makes me more determined than ever to really kick butt during the coming weeks!

MY PERFECT TEN CHALLENGES

1) Begin the NROL4W program (THE NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN - LIFT LIKE A MAN, LOOK LIKE A GODDESS). I just completed my third week on this program, making me half-way through the break-in phase.

I wanted to mention that, my arms, especially the triceps are one of my problem areas. So I've been throwing everything at them but the kitchen sink for the past 7 months with very little improvement.

All of a sudden I see/feel a BIG difference in the strength/muscularity there and I KNOW that the push-ups and the heavier weights are creating these changes. These exercises that I am doing are standard, foundation-building exercises that body builders have been using for decades. There's nothing fancy-pants or new fangled about it.

It figures that putting aside the gimmicky stuff and and putting some honest work into the basics is getting me the results I've been longing for! The work outs are difficult, but the results spur me on and I am eager to see how things go in the coming weeks and months.


2) Begin Training for the New Haven Road Race: This has not been going well. Between the weather, illness and an overwhelming schedule I have only been averaging one walk/jog of about a mile, once per week. I HAVE been working the backs of my thighs like crazy though, as this is supposed to be good for female runners.

Today, I got up early to take care of some business and household things and get a good groove going on my day so that I could get outside. This worked! I went out this morning and did my two-mile jogging interval routine and I was able to run for at least half of it!

I worked up a good sweat there, came home and rested a bit, then launched right into my weight lifting routine! I was a bit off on my food earlier in the week. I was feeling anxious and eating a bit more than I should. I am back on track now on all fronts and feelin' good!


3) Lose 20 pounds by the end of the challenge. Although I am not weighing myself until my monthly progress report (about a week from now) I feel confident that I've gone down a bit and that I will have no trouble reaching this goal.


4) Improve sleep habits: My dog getting sick and keeping me up all night, then getting a bad cold had my sleep all messed up for about two weeks. This week, (knock on wood) I was able to fall asleep at a reasonable hour most nights. I hope the trend continues.

Now, for something that you probably don't know about me. I was in my thirties before I learned to drive. I don't like driving. I only do it when I have to.

Before I go on to post today's work-out, take a gander at this "before" pic of me that I came across yesterday when I was searching for photos for my garden post.




Holy crap! Look at how fat my arms, legs and gut are! Jeepers creepers-- if this doesn't keep me on track, nothing will!

Also kids, just wanted to note that I removed my weekly fitness totals from the sidebar on the right and replaced it with monthly inches lost. I post my workouts now both here and on the Daily Mile, so it is redundant to have that on the sidebar.

Today's Workout

Warm up - Yoga stretches

Squat
12/90#
12/90#

Push Ups (30 degree)
12
12

Step-ups with DBs (18" Box)
12/25#
12/25#

BB Bent over rows
12/90#
12/90#

Side bends with 25# plate
10
10
10
10

Single-arm, DB Skull Crusher
10/25#
10/25#

DB Preacher curls

10/25#
10/25#

Crunches
50
50

Leg Lifts
20
20

Cool down - Yoga and old school floor exercises -- mainly for flexibility


I upped the weight for the squats, step-ups and rows, and it was at the upper limit of my abilities. I could barely rack the barbell after the squats and as I was coming up on my last rep I could barely get my body to come back up.

So, I have reached that stage where I am not going to be making giant gains in strength from work-out to work out. I will have to increase the weight periodically to improve, but it won't be as frequent.

This is a good thing! It's a sign that you're moving out of the "beginner" phase when strength gains are rapid.

Anyway, I feel good heading into the weekend! I'm on track with the food and the exercise and I am feeling strong inside and out!

How was your Perfect Ten week?

xoxox

17 comments:

  1. Great week! I am having sleep issues too. I have been working out later and I am sure that has something to do with it. I think it is very cool that the end of this challenge coincides with your one year anniversary. Have you thought about doing something special to celebrate? You have come so far and are truly an inspiration to me. Have a great weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great Lori-Ann! But where is your secret item you're supposed to share - or was that the pic you posted? You still have plenty of time to "train" just try to get out there and do your jog/walks to get your mileage up a bit. My P10 week was pretty darn good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your "Perfect 10" week. Your strength training is amazing. Very impressive. I have some pictures where I look really huge...some of them are even hung up at work in my friend's cubicle (team lunches). I am looking forward to having a new pic some time in the future where I am not so big.

    Again, wonderful job on your goals, especially with the wrenches that were thrown at you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job Loriann! You are on track and doing well. Interestingly enough, I too am finding that push ups are making quite a change in my upper body. Such a simple, "old fashioned" exercise. Sometimes the basics are best I guess. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to read of your progress and your positive attitude. You go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a great week Lori-Ann! I am glad you are finally getting a little more sleep.

    It is interesting that you didn't learn to drive until your 30s. My wife has an aunt who has never learned and has no desire to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing really good Lori-Ann. The weights are impressive. I agree about keeping things basic and old school.

    Have a great good and busy weekend and btw--you've really lost alot of weight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job lori ann.
    You are doing good with the weight lifting. I love before pictures cause they put things in perspective.
    You have really come a long way.
    here's to continued success

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great goals and good job on the workout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so thrilled for you! I've been feeling a bit crappy for the past week or so (no particular reason for it that I can think of) and your goals and achievements have really helped cheer me up. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great jog Lori-Ann - I'm going to have to go get that book and have a look. I've been doing a lot of self thinking and in review when I was very successful before it was because I did short cardio sessions and lots of strength training. I think I need to focus on ST and Yoga right now to get things really moving again.
    I was late getting my drivers as well but only out of laziness rather than dislike. My Grandmother never did get her license. I think one of her kids (not my Mom), fell out the back door of one of the vehicles she was driving (did not get hurt) and she never drove again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your entry. I love to exercise and sweat it up, but I have a cold and my main objective is trying to keep breathing. I hope to get back to lifting and cardio. I just missed the challenge by a few days. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lori-Ann. Such an amazing change you've made in your physique! And in less than a year too.

    I still haven't learnt to drive.

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi :o)
    I just found your blog, and your progress is awesome! I too have lots of weight to lose and it's going to be a long, but hopefully exciting journey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOOH! My Amazon Runner friend RAN today! Yippee Yippee Yippee! Sounds like a heck of a good exercise day for you and holy moses on those squats..you must have quads of steel. I accidentally tried 85 pounds last week and...yeah..that was NOT going to happen more than just a couple reps. Back to 75 for me.

    My 13 year old came to the gym with me today and for about 10 minutes we both were on upside down bosu balls HURLING a 10 pound medicine ball to each other. It was loads of fun and I think I will be sore tomorrow in all new places. We were cracking up, tho.....as our goal was to throw it so hard to the other person as to knock them off their ball. I won. LOL I knocked him off 4 times. What a mean Mom. :)

    Have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey just an FYI that I've passed the beautiful blogger award on to you, though I see you've already received it, so I'm sure you're safe from having to list your 7 things and from passing it on to 7 more bloggers, if you didn't want to have to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look sooo different from that pic! You ROCK beautiful lady!

    - lisa
    http://inweighovermyhead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We are all so busy.... so I truly appreciate your taking the time to comment.