Progress Pics

Monday, January 11, 2010

Rough Weekend -- My dog was in Hospital

We had a rough weekend. On Friday night, our dog Zeke starting vomiting shortly after supper and kept it up all night till almost 4am-- I was up with him.

He finally went to sleep at about 4 and when I got up at noon, I found that DH had fed him before going out to do some carpentry work for a friend that morning, and that set off a new round of vomiting.

I found vomit in three places around the house, so I called our vet and was instructed to bring Zeke in. To make a long story short, they wanted to give him some IV fluids and something to settle his stomach, and then keep him overnight, so we agreed. Not only for his sake, but for mine, I didn't want to be up all night again, cleaning vomit. (turned out I couldn't sleep anyway because of worry, but that's another story)

In the morning we agreed that he would remain there throughout Sunday being fed small amounts of a prescription food, and if he held that down until the end of the day, he could come home.

That worked, and he is back home with a four-day supply of his RX food and some Pepcid, which he has twice a day. Last night I slept well for the first time since Thursday night. So far, so good.

DH took today off as he came down with a cold in the middle of all of this- added to the stress of the dog, I think he just needed a day. Anyway, we took Zeke and Beau on a quick jaunt through the woods, off-leash. Zeke zoomed around and seemed to be feeling great. I did some jogging intervals and it felt good to be moving as we missed the gym Sunday from being fried over Zeke.

It was only about a mile but the snow made it hard to do-- like running in the sand. The fresh air was great too and it was not that cold today. It was good to enjoy that together.

I hated leaving Zeke at the vet as he was a rescue and the kennels there are like the dog pound. I was afraid he would think he had been abandoned again. It broke my heart to leave him.

You've never seen such a happy dog when we came to pick him up. The vet tech said when he heard our voices, he went ape-shit. When he got home, he went through the whole house smelling everything to see if anything good happened while he was gone.

This morning, DH and I cleaned out our bedroom closets together and then brought a whole bunch of stuff to Goodwill. I have plenty on room for new clothes in SMALLER sizes now!

Anyway, I tried to upload some pics of Zeke, cuddled up next to his "daddy" but I can't get the google photo uploader to work today.

Tomorrow, I will probably do both the work-out I missed Sunday and the one that I would normally do on Tuesdays, to get myself caught up. Believe it or not I can see and feel changes in my body already.

Hope you all had a good weekend!


  1. I am so glad Zeke is okay! I was just thinking today how much our dog is a part of our family, and how people who maybe don't have pets can't understand that connection.

    Glad everything is A-okay in your house!

  2. I am glad Zeke is okay now. I can only imagine how rough the weekend was.

  3. When I read a post like this it always reminds me that having pets is just like having children! Glad Zeke is better.

  4. I am so glad your dog is ok! We had a scare like that with my boyfriend's dog, a beagle named Toby. When everyone was at work he somehow actually opened a drawer in the kitchen and got out a bad of mixed chocolates. He ate 1 lb of chocolate! When everyone got home the dog was running like crazy around the house howling and they found the remnants of his snack.

    They were able to take him to the emergency vet right away and get most of it out of his system thankfully... but it was quite scary. They then found he had hidden pieces around the house and then had to go and locate them all because as soon as they got him home he tried to go eat more chocolate!

    Anyways I hope you week is better than your weekend. I am absolutely paying this morning for my body pump yesterday so I am going to go pop some Tylenol and do some yoga!

  5. I'm so glad Zeke is better. It's rough when the fur-kin get sick.

  6. Very glad Zeke is much better and that you can get some sleep again.
    Nothing more rewarding than cleaning out your closet of clothes that no longer fit and giving them to those in need.

  7. So glad that Zeke is better-so cute how pets act going around smelling everything-way to go with donating the clothes-many people will benefit from your new healthy lifestyle~

  8. Good news at the end of your post to learn that Zeke is on the mend. Our "furry kids" are very important to us all. Our little Annie was diagnosed with severe heart disease in August. She's hanging in there, but we worry still. Hugs to Zeke from me.

  9. So sorry to hear about Zeke. I had a similar weekend the weekend before last with Lulu our new kitten. I could not sleep once we got home from the vet. I am glad Zeke is on the mend.

  10. Glad Zeke was OK. I just had a big scare with my own dog so I know how stressful and upsetting it is.


We are all so busy.... so I truly appreciate your taking the time to comment.