Progress Pics

Sunday, January 31, 2010

January Progress Report & Prep for colonoscopy (Yikes!)

weight los inspiration pics

Greetings friends. This has been a strange and sometimes stressful week for me, but, more on that later........

I entered a women's fitness challenge over at the JP fitness forum. Many of the women are doing the NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN program, but you can do any program.

The challenge is for 6 months and you must post your stats and progress pics monthly at the first of every month. If you've been following my blog, you know that I haven't weighed myself a lot during my weight loss, but got weighed only when I went to the doctor. This is because of compulsiveness with regard to the scale.

Anyway, I thought a 6-month challenge would be good for me, so here I am. Here's some progress pics, one from August 2009 and one taken earlier today.

Photobucket


Photobucket

My weight today is 270 pounds, representing a loss of 15 pounds this month and a total weight loss of 160 pounds since last March. I wanted to mention that I started taking thyroid meds at the start of this challenge, as I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at that time.

I am positive that most of my weight loss for the month is fluid as I did nothing but pee when I first started taking the pills, and lost 10 pounds in ten days. I've been checking my weight once or twice a week and it fluctuates wildly. Just a few days ago, I weighed 265.

I also lost 5 1/2 inches this month, with the biggest loss coming off the waist (FINALLY).

At the start of the challenge, I recorded my initial stats and my goals for the challenge. Here they are, followed by my stats for today:


Body Stats (as of January 5, 2010)
age: 51
height: 6'3"
weight: 285
neck: 16”
chest: 46.5"
waist: 49”
hips: 55
thighs: 25
upper arms: 15.5
calves: 16.5


Health Stats (as of 12/28/09)
Blood Pressure 142/74
Cholesterol - 170
HDL- 45
Triglycerides -113
Fasting Blood Sugar -96
Resting heart rate - 62 BPM


Goals for the 2010 Challenge
1. Lose 60 or more pounds (I CAN do it)
2. Lift weights 3 Xs week based on NROL4W
3. Begin couch to 5k program in spring (to prepare for ½ marathon in Sept)
4. Eat adequate protein, continue to eat clean
5) Get blood pressure down more & improve other health stats
6) When gardening season starts, grow as many of my own veggies as possible
7) Buy a nice cocktail dress to wear out on my anniversary in July

February Body Stats (as of January 31, 2010)
age: 51
height: 6'3"
weight: 270
neck: 16”
chest: 46"
waist: 47”
hips: 54
thighs: 24
upper arms: 15.5
calves: 16.5

I feel REALLY strong from the weight lifting and clearly have put on muscle, but still have enough body fat covering everything that you can't see it in the pics. Not yet anyway.

Ok......... on other fronts, I have been VERY anxious for the past two weeks and I KNOW it has to do with the colonoscopy tomorrow. Not the procedure, but what they might find during the procedure, as cancer runs on my dad's side and he had cancer of the colon.

So I have been "off" with my food and exercise, often eating too much and skimping on the cardio. I admit it, there's a little voice saying "Why exercise and eat less if you're gonna die of cancer anyway."

So, I have not been buying potato chips or ice cream....... but rather eating a bit too much at dinner and sometimes going heavier on the carbs than I know I should.

By this time tomorrow, I will likely know whether or not there is anything to worry about up there, and if there isn't, I can go back to normal and refocus on my fitness efforts, and if there is, well, I'll just have to deal with now, won't I?

I also have my mammography on Tuesday.

Greta asked me if I feel better yet from the thyroid meds. Yes I do, Greta. Thank you for asking. My feet are less cold, my skin less dry, I am sleeping better and have more energy and focus during the day. I think the vitamins I started taking are helping too.

Greta asked how many kids we have. Between the two of us, we have seven. Jeff has a daughter, Sarah born in 1979 and a son Andrew born in 1986, plus my son Thomas, whom he adopted as I described in my last post. Thom was born in 1984.

For kids I gave birth to, I had the triplets in 1975 (Michael, William and Kevin), one son born before, Robert, born in 1975; and as I already said, Thomas was born in 84.

Anyway, Tom had the opportunity when he was 12 or 13 to go to Florida and meet his natural father. I did not try to influence him in any way. At first he said he wanted to go, then when it came time, he said he didn't need to do that.

He thinks of Jeff as his dad, not as a step-dad or adoptive dad. He calls his natural father "the sperm donor." LOL

When he decided not to meet his natural father, he said that Jeff had always been there for him and provided for him from when he was small, and that his natural father had never done jack for him and was showing up late in the game and trying to have "fun" with him.

His natural father never once paid a dime of child support and Tom knew this. It is why the judge wanted Jeff to adopt Tom instead of just changing the name. Jeff was supporting him and being his father unofficially.

I occasionally offer to contact the other side of the blood family for Tom and he always declines. This is his choice. We explained that curiosity about it would be normal and that Jeff would not feel hurt or jealous if Tom wanted to pursue relationships with his natural father and his family. He doesn't though. At least not so far.

Anyway, thought I'd leave you with a few links. There's a gal over on the JP fitness forum who also has a GREAT blog where she posts all kinds of studies related to health and fitness. There are side bars on BOTH sides of the blog!

Some of my favorite entries from her blog include:

Three strength training sessions a week keep bones strong without medication

Trained body burns more fat with gentle endurance exercise

Weight Loss Faster With Vitamin D


Also, another of the gals in the challenge will be competing in this year's WARRIOR DASH in her area. So I am wondering if I am up for that?

Check it out http://www.warriordash.com/

I will try to post tomorrow after the colonoscopy!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

xoxox

17 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow. It will be over be you know it.

    Love the updated pic. You are really making great progress Lori-Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori-Ann. You look so much smaller on your progress pic! YOu really do look fab! And I can see definite signs of definition on your stomach. Look again - can't you see them?

    As far as I know the colonoscopy is precautionary in that you don't have any symptoms. If they did find anything it would surely be very early stage and therefore much more treatable. Try not to worry. Have you been genetically tested to see if you have a predisposition to colon cancer?

    Really good luck for tomorrow. Hope it goes well.

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING! 160 pounds in less than a year! What a diff in your progress pics. So glad the meds are helping you to feel better and praying for you that tomorrow goes smoothly. Good luck with your new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures tell a great story. You should be proud of yourself. Good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your results - the results of hard work and determination are fab! Everything will be OK tomorrow, really. After all the fasting you have to do to get ready, you should eat whatever you want once it's over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are rocken! The picture shows a lot of great changes!! :) I'll keep my fingers crossed that tomorrow all is well at the DM's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori-Ann, your progress is absolutely amazing!

    I hope all goes well with the colonoscopy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes on the test tomorrow and Tuesday. Stressful, I know--will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way.

    You look absolutely amazing! Can see the loss, and maybe because I still have fat-covered muscle, I can see your muscle--I'm good at looking for it. lol You are really an inspiration with your lifting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll be praying all is well for your procedure tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, the difference is huge.
    oh, and you can pee alt if you are losing fat though. Each molecule of fat is wrapped in water.
    true dat.
    So You can see the weight loss just by looking. YOu abdomen and your you know.
    lol.
    anywhooo.
    Great job and good luck on the colonoscopy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! You are looking longer and leaner! I am so impressed and inspired by your progress. I will keep you in my prayers tomorrow. I am thinking positive thoughts and visualizing a healthy report. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey-congrats with all the weight loss, all your goals, you totally rock girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing progress! I want to say so much more, but will save it for now... :o)

    Good luck with the colonoscopy...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you are totally on track for your 60 pound goal!!!

    Thinking of you today with the colonoscopy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing progress evident in your picture. You are really incredible, Lori Ann. Thinking of you as you're probably already done with the Colonoscopy today. Good for you for having it - another way of taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah! Don't drink the Kool-Aid. I have 5 friends doing the Warrior Dash throughout the country. It freaks me out!!!

    Great job on the stats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look SO different in your picture from yesterday! What you are doing is most definitely working, congratulations! Good luck at the doctor's I know its hard but try not to worry until you know there is something to worry about

    ReplyDelete

We are all so busy.... so I truly appreciate your taking the time to comment.