Progress Pics

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tuesday's Workout, Bear Friend's question, and some news




Hey kids! I hope you're all doing well. Today was one of those days when I did NOT want to work out. I tried reasoning with myself and when that failed, I had to b*tch-slap myself and drag myself, kicking and screaming, to the work out area!

Once I got going, I was glad of it. Today was "workout A" and last time I did this, which was last Friday, I had upped the squat and bent-over row to 90# and barely pulled off two sets of each of those. In fact, I almost couldn't complete my last squat and then could not rack the bar and had to drop it onto my sectional sofa.

Today, I did three sets of squats and bent over rows with that weight and was fine with it. It is amazing to me that one can have strength gains like that from one week to the next.

Anyway, here's today's work out:

Warm up - Yoga poses

Squat
10/90
10/90
10/90

Push-up (30 degree)
12
12
12

bent over row
10/90
10/90
10/90

Step-ups
10/25e
10/25e
10/25e

Crunches
50
50
50

Side bends with 25# plate
10
10
10

So, I am glad that I forced myself!


The other day, Bear Friend asked in the comments why the reps and sets change. Well, body building means that you are constantly, well, er um, building!

To build your muscles, you need to constantly challenge them, feed them well, and give them adequate rest. I must always ask my muscles for a little bit more than what they want to give, this break-in phase that I am doing is getting my body used to that.

I started with 2 sets of 15 reps for each exercise. First, the number of reps decreased every other workout, while the weights INCREASED. After a month of this, the number of sets got bumped up to three.

At the end of the break-in phase there will be 6 more phases and each will get more difficult-- I'll be doing crazy-ass shit like one-legged deadlifts and squats, leaping into the air while pressing weight over head, etc.

During the six months, you NEVER let your body rest on its laurels. The weights, sets and movements change frequently and you keep yourself steadily progressing. It is not an easy thing to make the commitment that for 6-months you will live outside your comfort zone and ask a lot of yourself. That is one of the main reasons I am doing this-- aside from the physical results that I hope to achieve.

My son's girlfriend has been caring for an elderly uncle for the past few years. He had a stroke a few days ago and passed away last night. He was blind, incontinent and god-know-what else. Michelle has been living with him and caring for him while putting herself through school. We REALLY like her and her values and hope our son has the good sense to marry her.

Anyway, we want to go to the wake and funeral to support Michelle but of course, I don't have anything to wear. The black dress that I wore to my mom's funeral is a size 5X and literally falls off me now.

So Michelle is picking me up tomorrow afternoon to see if we can find me a cheap black dress or skirt and a pair of pantyhose in amazon size. The funeral is Thursday morning.

It is almost time for the Biggest Loser so I will end this here! But, I'LL BE BACK!





LOL LOL LOL

12 comments:

  1. If Arnie can do it...YOU can do it. :-)

    Margie writes at:
    www.myhealthylivingthruweightcontrol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that girl sounds lovely.
    I hope you find a nice dress...I would say it's nice your getting new clothes, but under the circumstances...
    Great Job on the workout.
    Can't wait till you post some muscle pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posts. I love that you say bitch-slap. I love that you are going shopping for a new black dress. I love how your randomly slipped in how you feel about your son's girlfirend (haha).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post. You exude serenity and calm, Lori-Ann. I say Michelle would be lucky to have a mother in law like you! I hope you find a nice dress, and also that you will post a picture. Even though it's a sad occasion, it will likely give you another positive stroke for all the work you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing great girl. Everyone I know who has completed the NROL4W program is so glad they stuck it out. Somehow I don't think sticking it out is going to be a problem for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you and Michelle find something nice.

    Keep up the good work. Glad you bitch-slapped yourself. We all have those days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I sound like a stuck record, but your training really inspires me! I found some of Craig deadlift hooks (strap goes around your wrist and the hook sits in the palm of your hand so the bar doesn't slip) the other day, and I want to start using them while I do my squats.

    Hope the funeral goes ok and you find something nice to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive. I think you will rock the weights. You've already done so well.

    Sometimes I moan and groan about working out too. I remind myself that I"ll be happy within 5 minutes of starting. That's always true. And, I am happy at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just getting to the gym is sometimes half of my battle too. I know what you mean about not the clothes. I find myself (-32 lbs) in need of new sports and regular bras, and do not want to lay out the bucks for them when I'm just going to keep on losing more weight anyway. Am thinking of getting 2 of each and doing my own personal laundry more frequently. Considering I have 3 kids, that may not be possible, but that's my main option right now. Good luck finding something reasonably priced!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Arnold! LOL That pic cracked me up.

    90 pound bent over row...is that 45 pound dumbbell in each hand...or is it the straight-legged deadlift with the barbell? I did a bench row yesterday with 35 in each hand (alternating)...and..it was somewhat brutal.

    I felt the exact same way about hitting the gym yesterday as you felt. I had worked all morning so I had to go in the crowded afternoon.....I was un-motivated. But, once I got there it all just sorta kicked in. I had to change things up a bit because some of the equipment was unavailable..so it ended up being a fun learning experience for me that resulted in some productive soreness in my arms and shoulders..right in the spots where I need the most work.

    Doing dumbbell bench presses at a 30% or so incline were TOTALLY different than doing a bench press with a barbell at a zero incline. I had no idea how different these were. The dumbbell bench presses seemed to work the exact muscles I am trying to target. And...I was only able to use 20 pound dumbbells in each hand even tho I can bench 65 pounds on the barbell....which I thought was surprising. I initially started with 25 pounders and could not lift them up at all.....not even once....weird.

    I also added in a tricep extension in between my flies...while laying on the bench. (I had been doing the tricep thing sitting up). OH NELLIE...the tricep extensions laying on the bench are so much better/harder/more effective. I just looked through the NROLFW again and might add the pullover to that and make it a trio. Flies, tri extentions, pullovers. Hm.

    I'm (obviously) not too good at following specific plans in the book. I sort of make it up as I go--modify, blend, change. Not necessarly good..but..just how I work I guess. It must be the Leo coming out....Ms. Independent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lori-Ann. Somewhere between my brain and your brain things have gone askance. I'm thinking probably in my typing I may have missed some letter(s) or word out.

    What I was asking was how come you can do 25lbs DB shoulder presses one session and then the next you can't manage it and have to drop to 20lbs?

    Gotta love Arnie! That photo just makes me want to squeeze him all over! (OK if I could travel back 20 years)

    Bearfriend xx

    ReplyDelete

We are all so busy.... so I truly appreciate your taking the time to comment.